Enabling the Ciphering Indicator on Android
Keywords:GSM encryption, IMSI catcher, A5, Ciphering Indicator, SIM, AT Commands
AbstractThis paper exemplifies the use of AT commands to retrieve (and eventually override) the ciphering indicator status on Android by directly communicating with the phone modem. Curiously, his indicator is disabled by default both at operating system level and SIM card settings. By turning it on, the mobile handset will inform the user each time the communication becomes unencrypted, so a proper decision could be made just in time.
Android Ciphering Issue, available at: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=5353
The GSM Standard, available at: http://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/telephone/gsm-standard-an-overview-security-317
K. Paget, Practical Cellphone Spying, available at: http://www.tombom.co.uk/blog/?p=262
Forcing 3G only on Android, available at: http://siliconstation.com/how-to-force-android-only-3g/
Mobile Country Code, available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_country_code).
U. Meyer, S. Wetze, On the Impact of GSM Encryption and Man-In-The-Middle Attacks on the Security Of Interoperating GSM/UMTS Networks, 15th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, 2004. PIMRC 2004. (Volume: 4), pp. 2876 – 2883
C. Toma, Future Developments in Non-Repudiation in GSM WAP Applications, Journal of Mobile, Embedded and Distributed Systems, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 20-31, jun. 2009, available at: http://www.jmeds.eu/index.php/jmeds/article/view/Future-Developments-in-Non-Repudiation-in-GSM-WAP-Applications
I. Bosoanca, A. Vargatu, An Overview of Vertical Handoff Decision Algorithms in NGWNs and a new Scheme for Providing Optimized Performance in Heterogeneous Wireless Networks, Informatica Economică, vol. 15, no. 1/2011, pp 5-21
I. Androulidakis, D. Pylarinos, G. Kandus, Ciphering Indicator approaches and user awareness, Maejo International Journal of Science and Technology, 2012, 6(03), pp. 514-527
Ciphering Indicator – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone, available at: http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/5825108-ciphering-indicator
Centrul de presă Politia Romana – Comunicat, available at: http://www.politiaromana.ro/relatii_publice/detalii.aspx?id=16556  Security consequences following the GSM encryption algorithm crack - What is the real-world risk from the cracking of the GSM encryption algorithm?, available at: http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/answer/Security-consequences-following-the-GSM-encryption-algorithm-crack
GSM encryption code 'cracked', available at: http://www.zdnet.com/gsm-encryption-code-cracked-2062060205/
Questions about the Interception of GSM Calls, available at: http://www.cryptophone.de/en/support/faq/questions-about-the-interception-of-gsm-calls/
Android Security Overview - SIM Card Access, available at: http://source.android.com/devices/tech/security/#sim-card-access
Hayes Command Set – GSM, available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayes_command_set
F. Alecu, P.Pocatilu, S. Capisizu, Interception of GSM Calls by Turning off the GSM Encryption, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Security for Information Technology and Communications (SECITC'14), Bucharest, Romania, June 12-13, 2014, Bucharest University of Economic Studies Press, 2014, pp. 157-163
Digital cellular telecommunications system (Phase 2+); Specification of the Subscriber Identity Module - Mobile Equipment (SIM-ME) Interface, (3GPP TS 11.11 version 8.14.0 Release 1999, ETSI TS 100 977 V8.14.0 (2007-06), available at: http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/100900_100999/100977/08.14.00_60/ts_100977v081400p.pdf
How to talk to the Modem with AT commands, available at http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2/help/how-to-talk-to-modem-commands-t1471241
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The author(s) is responsible for the correctness and legality of the paper content.
- Papers that are copyrighted or published will not be taken into consideration for publication in JMEDS It is the author(s) responsibility to ensure that the paper does not cause any copyright infringements and other problems.
- It is the responsibility of the author(s) to obtain all necessary copyright release permissions for the use of any copyrighted materials in the paper prior to the submission.
- The Author(s) retains the right to reuse any portion of the paper, in future works, including books, lectures and presentations in all media, with the condition that the publication by JMEDS is properly credited and referenced.
JMEDS articles by Journal of Mobile, Embedded and Distributed Systems (JMEDS) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at http://jmeds.eu.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://jmeds.eu/index.php/jmeds/about/submissions#copyrightNotice.