OpenID, a Single Sign-On Solution for E-learning Applications
Keywords:e-learning, security, OpenID, Single Sign On, mobile applications
AbstractThe e-learning applications of today require a special focus on security. Distributed e- learning applications have several modules user can access using different clients (desktop or mobile). The same user has several accounts with different credentials. In this context, the SSO (Single Sign-On) solutions become very attractive since the user has to log in once and can access all the needed resources without being prompted again for the username and password. Using the OpenID standard for e-learning Web-based applications is a good and reliable solution because it supports both URL and XRI identifiers. This paper presents the main characteristics of OpenID standard and how this standard could be implemented for a distributed, Web-based, e-learning application.
Menezes, A. J., Oorschot, P. C. van, Vanstone, S. A., Handbook of Applied Cryptography, CRC Press, 2001
OpenId Protocol, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openid [Online]
OpenID Authentication 2.0 - Final, http://openid.net/specs/openid-authentication-2_0.html [Online]
OpenID for Java Web applications, http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-openid2/?ca=drs-
openid4java API, http://code.google.com/p/openid4java/ [Online]
Erickson, J., Beware Open Source Encryption, http://www.drdobbs.com/open- source/220800130, 2009
Alecu, F., Pocatilu, P. and Capisizu, S., WiMAX Security Issues in E-Learning Systems, Proc. of 2nd International Conference on Security for IT & C in Journal of Information Technology and Communication Security, Bucharest, November 2009, pp. 45-52.
Rescorla, E., Diffie-Hellman Key Agreement Method, RFC 2631, 1999
Eastlake, D. and Jones, P., US Secure Hash Algorithm 1 (SHA1), RFC 3174, 2001
Alecu, F., Pocatilu, P., Stoica, G., Ciurea,, C., Capisizu, S, Using OpenID for E-learning Applications, Proceeding of the 3rd International Conference on Security for Information Technology and Communications SECITC'10, Bucharest, 18-19 November 2010, pp. 181-188
Leicher, A., Schmidt, A. U., Shah, Y., Inhyok C., Trusted Computing Enhanced OpenID, Proc. of. International Conference for Internet Technology and Secured Transactions (ICITST), 8-11 Nov. 2010, pp. 1 – 8
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The author(s) is responsible for the correctness and legality of the paper content.
- Papers that are copyrighted or published will not be taken into consideration for publication in JMEDS It is the author(s) responsibility to ensure that the paper does not cause any copyright infringements and other problems.
- It is the responsibility of the author(s) to obtain all necessary copyright release permissions for the use of any copyrighted materials in the paper prior to the submission.
- The Author(s) retains the right to reuse any portion of the paper, in future works, including books, lectures and presentations in all media, with the condition that the publication by JMEDS is properly credited and referenced.
JMEDS articles by Journal of Mobile, Embedded and Distributed Systems (JMEDS) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at http://jmeds.eu.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://jmeds.eu/index.php/jmeds/about/submissions#copyrightNotice.